Message from Arizona Public Service (APS):
“You are invited to an open house to learn about APS plans to power downtown Phoenix’s continued growth with safe, clean, and reliable energy:
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018
- 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Roosevelt Community Church, 924 N. 1st St.
As you know, downtown Phoenix has grown significantly in recent years, and is expecting even more growth over the next decade. Arizona Public Service (APS) is planning to build more infrastructure to power that development, including a new electric substation. We are in the final stages of selecting a location for this substation. Currently, the two potential sites are located between 1st Street to 4th Street, McKinley Street to Portland Street.
We are working to confirm the site by December 2018 in order to keep this project on schedule with the area’s growing need for electricity. Ultimately we will select the location based on the following criteria:
- Availability of land, including size and condition of property;
- Adjacency to existing overhead and underground power lines needed to connect the substation to the electrical system;
- Proximity to APS current and future customers served by the substation;
- Minimizing construction impact to residents and businesses;
- Maximizing opportunities to enhance downtown development and the urban streetscape.
The map below shows the area where the new substation needs to be located to serve growing energy needs and potential sites identified with earlier public and agency input.
An important part of our Downtown Substation planning process is to continue collecting input from residents, property owners, businesses, and community organizations. That is why we are inviting you to this open house where you can learn more about this project, our site selection process and potential architectural designs.
Throughout the planning process, information on this downtown substation project will be available at aps.com/siting (under Current Projects, click “find out more”). Comments can be submitted directly to Kendra Lee, APS Program Manager, at Kendra.Lee@aps.com or 602-371-7872.”